Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fire Drill in the Night

So there I was, peacefully snoozing away, most likely having some sort of ridiculous dream, because I ALWAYS have strange dreams here, when it happened. BEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP with flashing strobe lights!!!! I sat straight up and looked around. Yes. Fire alarm! "What time is it???" I hear as I turn to look at my clock. 2:15 AM. What's going on? I try to get out of bed, but can't find the ladder and end up just jumping from the top bunk, landing hard. I shake myself, grab my shoes and head for the door. Hna. Binks and Hna Hill are ahead of me. Hna. Binks looks out the door and turns back, which sends us all into a tizzy! "What are you doing? What are you taking? What--? says Hna Hill in much impatience and confusion. "Where's my companion???" I exclaim. "I'm SOO angry!" from Hna. Binks. It's soon determined that Hna Binks was only going back for shoes. Satisfied, Hna Hill is ready to leave and I have finally found my companion, all of 2 feet away from me. We drowsily go down the stairs (luckily, my amazing companion had studied the emergency exit plan the night before) and out onto the lawn. All of the Hermanas in 17M look to our building, desperately hoping that it's not a real fire. We wait in silence (sort of) as the security guards run up and down the stairs. About 20 minutes later, we get the all clear and can go back inside. The mystery of the fire alarm still remains.
 
 
Yes... that really did happen. It was hilarious... AFTER the fact. We were Sooo tire the next day. We hear that maybe it was a faulty smoke detector. No se. Anyways, we were all happy to write home about it.

This week was AMAZING!!! The center of my week was definitely Sunday, so I will start there.
 
We had Branch Council, and that was good. There was some concern with one of the sisters, so I had to do some hard things that day, but I really did feel guided by the Spirit and that Sister is MUCH better now, so I am really grateful. Relief Society was AMAZING. President Brown, out MTC President was the speaker and he started off by saying that we all should be "Princess Moroni's" and talked about how to be an effective missionary. The part that touched me the most was when he said that we will be bringing hope and healing to people and that there is no better medicine than to feel the power of the Atonement. I am so grateful for the Atonement in my life and humbled by the opportunity to share it. After that, we meant with our branch president, President Nelson for a Sister's meeting and talked about The 4th Missionary. We all studied that together, but this time I learned different things and it was amazing. We talked about how the best missionary is one who gives 100% of her heart to The Lord. I have to give up even my good desires and realize that Jesus Christ wants the VERY BEST for me and that I want to align my will with his. We talked about boxing up all of our desires and being totally committed. Then when we get home we can unbox them and see what doesn't fit anymore, what we just don't want any more, and what we do still desire because it is what the Lord desires for us. I am going to rededicate myself to the Lord every day. President said that we need to give "it" up... whatever "it" is for us and I really liked that. The Fireside on Sunday night was really great too. It was from President Steven B. Allen and he brought in a bunch of old Church Commercials and talked about the one liners in them. My favorite was "when everything says you can't, believe in the part of you that says you can." I needed to hear that. It's difficult to learn Spanish and we definitely have hard days, but we always tell each other "Si, se puede!!!" He also talked about how it's TOTALLY worth it to change the non-Celestial parts of you. That really connected with the 4th missionary lesson for me and I made some goals about the kind of person I want to be and how to get there. I have a long ways to go, but I know that through the Atonement, I can be the kind of daughter that Heavenly Father wants me to be.
 
After that, we went to the Sunday video (we can choose from a bunch) and chose to go to a MTC talk from Elder Holland. Without being too dramatic, I must say that it seriously changed my life! He said that this is the closest we will ever be to the Apostles (big A) because we have the same commission and desires that they do and to never miss a chance to be apostolic (small a). Even though they have a high and wonderful calling, I can still do the same work. You all know how powerful Elder Holland is, and this was no different. I felt that he was looking into my soul
 
Tuesday devotional was also very good. It was all about how the sanctification of the missionary is just as important as doing the work of the Lord, because they are really one and the same. I am my first convert. I have to be pure in order to teach others. I have to become something. I thought about the refiners fire and how a purifier of silver knows that the silver is pure when he can see his reflection in it. We are like that. Christ keeps us in the heat until He can see His image in us. What more could we want? Hna Hill and I went and sang with the choir as well and that was amazing. I felt in my element.
 
We got new roommates yesterday. They will be here for 3 weeks until they leave for the MTC in the Dominican Republic. They will serve in Puerto Rico. We like them and they seem really nice. One moves a lot in the night and is really loud and she snores, but we will all get used to that. They are both really kind and will be great missionaries.
 
Our teaching is getting much better. I feel like Hna Hill and I are much more united and that we can really build off of each other. The other day, she bore testimony and I shared a personal experience related to the testimony she bore and it was our best lesson ever. Even with simulations, we feel the spirit guiding us in all that we do and say.
 
Spanish is getting harder. I have decided that I need to be more specific in my prayers about Spanish. I am still always praying for the gift of tongues, but this week, I really need help understanding the difference between Preterite and Imperfect and when to use them. Could you please all pray for me to get that? Thank you.
 
I started a new copy of the Book of Mormon to be my Preach my Gospel set and as I read, I color code scriptures that go with each of the 5 lessons and it has really taught me a lot. I really like the study I have been having. What are you all studying right now? I would love to hear it! I read in the Book of Mormon, study a topic that goes with the lesson we are teaching, and am reading Our Search for Happiness. I love studying the gospel!!!
 
Went to the Temple today and it was so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment