Monday, January 14, 2013

1-14-13


Dearest Family,

Well, I am not sure how, but it has come... somehow, my shoes have just about died, my skirts are just a bit tighter, and my skin is just a bit bronzer. Somehow, 18 months have passed...

I am eternally grateful to the Lord for the great blessing of being His missionary. I am so grateful for the chance that I have had to serve Him and His children here in Argentina. I love being a missionary and being able to preach the gospel each and everyday. I am going to miss so much the people, the culture, the church here, my companions, President and Hermana Gulbrandsen, etc. But I know that it is time. I have shed many tears already and I know that more will come, but I know that when I received my call, I accepted the fact that the mission would end. I accepted the 18 months gratefully.
I will miss being Hermana Shelley. I will miss putting my name tag on every day. I will miss teaching the lessons in Preach my Gospel. I will miss speaking Spanish all the time. I will more than anything miss these dear people. 

Really, I feel more like I am at the beginning of a new phase rather than at the end of an old one. I know that I have much before me to do and become and that the Lord expects a lot of me. I plan to hit the ground running in His service. I know that the gifts that I have been given in the mission are sacred trusts from the Lord and that He needs me to use each and every one of them. I know that I have much to do. I am sad to be leaving my mission, but so excited for the great things that will come. I will be a true disciple of Christ for the rest of my life. That calling is never ending and I know that I must improve daily and follow Him. I am a new person, and I must never go back. I truly feel that the changes in me are forever. I see things differently. I have a more eternal vision. I see people differently than before and I love them as never before. I understand my relationship to the Lord and I know that He is guiding my every step. I will humbly and gratefully accept any calling that He gives me. These 18 months were the best 18 months FOR my life, and I know that they will affect everything that comes. I love my Heavenly Father and Savior so much. I must be what They want and need me to be. On to the next great adventure!

We had a great week! Lucia was confirmed! It was a beautiful blessing and she is doing great.
Big news..............

MAURO IS GOING TO BE BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY!!!! Oh man... seeing a man who 2 months ago proclaimed to be an atheist accept the invitation to be baptized is just the best thing ever! We have felt the Spirit so strongly with him. I know that he is going to be a leader in the church and that the Lord really needs him. I am so grateful for the chance to teach him and guide him. It is truly only the Spirit that has converted him.
ANA and NAYLA with also be baptized this weekend!!! On Sunday they will be baptized and they are both so excited. They are doing really well, and we are super excited to see their progress.

So this is going to be an amazing and very busy week, including my exit interview, a Temple trip with those who are going home, my despedida (farewell), three baptisms (though we have felt that we need to have 4 and someone else is prepared... pray for us!), and one confirmation! What a way to end my mission. I am really grateful for the many blessings that are ahead. Love the work!

Well family, I just want to end by expressing my GREAT love for each and every one of you. I am so grateful for the love that you show me, for the support, for the letters, for the prayers, for the tears. I am eternally grateful. I really don`t know what I would have done without you all as a part of these last 18 months. I know that leaving will not be easy, but that it is necessary. The Lord has new plans for me and I must go where He wants me to go. I am so grateful for this amazing experience. I wish that I had better words to express me deep gratitude. I will just use some of the words of the scriptures... they are better anyways.

3 Nephi 5:13
Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Alma 26: 11-13
I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom, but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.
Yea, I know that I am nothing, as to my strength I am weak, therefore, I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength, I can do all things, yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
Behold, how many thousands of our brethren has he loosed from the pains of hell, and they are brought to sing redeeming love, and this because of the power of his word which is in us, therefore, have we not great reason to rejoice?

I am trying to make this a time of rejoicing, and not a sad time. I will rejoice in my Lord. I will sing praises to Him. and I will boast of His goodness and the miracles that He has wrought in my life and in the lives of so many. If I am my only convert, I will be forever grateful.

I love you all. This is the truth. May we be disciples of Jesus Christ forever and ever. This is His work. The glory will be His. Should we not go on in so great a cause?
All my Love,
Hermana Shelley

PS- I will not be in internet next week. We spend the day with President and Hermana Gulbrandsen and then we go to the airport. We`ll just see you on Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Kailei :) My name is Katelyn and I have been called to serve in the Buenos Aires Argentina North Mission! I actually leave on Wednesday! I hope it's not creepy but I have been reading your blog and it has been so wonderful. Reading it has helped me become more and more excited to serve in Argentina and I love everything you post! I have found myself laughing and crying as I read and have also felt the Holy Ghost when reading the things you write. Thank you so much for your testimony and words of inspiration to me. Reading about your adventures has helped me more than you know. I do have a question for you though, did you keep your blog up on your mission or did someone have to do it for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelyn!!!

      I am SOOO glad that you read the blog! I love that. My Mom actually posted the emails that I sent home each week. I didn't do anything on the blog. I have actually been meaning to post a follow up now... I should do that.

      I am SO excited for you to serve in the great mission Buenos Aires North! It seriously changed my life forever. It was the best 18 months FOR my life, and as I now embark on the next journey (I just got engaged this week), I am using all of the things that I learned as a missionary to continue to serve the Lord. It is sometimes hard to not be a full time missionary, but I just remember that I serve not only when I have a call, but because I am under covenant. I love the work of the Lord!

      I am so glad that you read my blog! I actually read my trainer's blog before I left on my mission and it really helped me to get excited and to get a feel for the work in Argentina. I am glad that I could do the same for you!

      Please let me know if you have any other questions :) You will be a great missionary! Exito!!

      Delete
  2. Hey Kailie,
    My name is Becca Sirrine. I just got called to The BA North mission. I have LOVED reading your blog! You are amazing. I was wondering if you have any advice as to things that I should absolutely bring. I am really nervous about it!
    Thanks, Becca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becca!!

      I am so excited for you!!! The Buenos Aires North Mission is the best mission in the world! haha. Not that I'm biased or anything... :)

      When do you leave?

      For things to take, I would suggest outfits that are good mix and match styles so that you can make lots of combinations with not a ton of clothing. Transfers happen quickly with little notice, and I ended up wishing I didn't have some of the things I had. A good coat is also important. In the winter, it feels really cold because of the humidity. The humidity also means that it feels super hot in the summer... so you definitely get lots of extremes. So take light airy clothes that are good for humidity and then a good coat and good boots. Shoes are not very high quality there and so it's important to get a couple very sturdy pair of shoes here. Some boots too if you can. I bought boots down there and they died pretty fast. But my dress sketchers lasted my entire mission and they were fabulous. Dressy enough, comfortable, and with good support.

      Let me know if you have any other questions! So excited for you!

      Delete