Monday, October 1, 2012

10-1-12

WOW! What an amazing week we had. 

Zahira was BAPTIZED and CONFIRMED this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may be asking yourself, Who is Zahira? How did they have a baptism when they didn't even have investigators? WHAT?!?!?!

Let me just tell you about this amazing miracle...

On Monday, our zone leaders called and told us that someone was prepared in every area to be baptized this weekend. At that very moment, the thought came to my mind "The sister of Johny." (He was baptized in June and hasn´t missed a Sunday since) I said to Hermana Hualpa "Does Johnny have a sister?" She said yes and that her name had come to her mind as well. Neither of us new her. We went to the area book and looked her up to at least learn her name. We found out that she is 12 and that she goes to church just about every Sunday but that her mom didn´t give her permission since she is only 12. So, we decided that we would go meet her. On Tuesday, we had the appointment. Earlier, we were visiting another family and Augustin, our Teachers Quorum president accompanied us. We felt to ask him what he knew about Zahira. He said that she wanted to be baptized but the mom didn't give permission. But then he said "Don´t worry Hermanas, her mom LOVES me. I will make it happen!" He agreed to come to the appointment with us. We went and the mom wasn´t home. So we waited and waited, but she didn´t come and we had to be home on time. Augustin agreed to stay and talk with her. We went home, praying and with loads of faith. At 10:00, Augustin called and said "okay, Hermanas! She will be able to be baptized this weekend!" WOW! We were so happy, we were jumping up and down. This girl was SO prepared. She has even already been doing personal progress, going to mutual, etc... just lacked the water! So the next day we went, and the supposedly "dura" ( I don´t know how to say that... hard seems wrong, but it is the right word) mom received us so well and was super happy about her daughter´s baptism. Through the week, we retaught the lessons just in case (she already new everything super well) and she was baptized on Saturday and confirmed on Sunday! What a miracle! The Lord is truly preparing His children to come unto Him. I love it! It was a wonderful baptism and we had so much support from the ward. They are amazing and I was so pleased with how it all turned out. I love El Talar! We learned a lot about following the Spirit this week with this experience. The Mom told us after the confirmation "Hermanas, you can come by on Tuesday, but after that I go back to work and will not be able to have you over. Zaira with have to meet with you just after church or something." Wow! It truly had to happen THIS week. If we had waited another week, the mom would not have let us in. This is truly the Lord´s work. 

Ruben is doing well. He told us that he wants to be baptized but needs more time. We know that he will choose to be baptized very soon. His son is helping him a lot. The tricky part is that he works every day from 8 in the morning to 10 at night. So we have special permission to see him at 7, but it is tough. It will all work out. 

We are working with a Peruvian family who is doing well. They have lots of doubts, but will come around. They are reading and praying, so we know that they will receive their answers. So special! The key is to read the Book of Mormon and pray. The answers will come from there. 

We had to drop our Dominican Family... well, it´s more like they dropped us. They don´t want to change right now and didn´t want to read or pray. It was hard to leave them, but we will use the time to find new investigators. 

Louis disappeared. We can´t get in contact with him. 

We are constantly looking for new investigators, but also finding many. President has taught us the best way to find new investigators... when we don´t have appointments with investigators, we are teaching the less active members and the recent converts and asking for referrals. They know those who are chosen. Especially the recent converts, because they have a great desire to share the gospel and they are so new in the church that all of their family and friends are usually not members. Also, on the way, we talk with the whole world. Often, street and door contacts don´t progress, but sometimes they do. And our duty is to open our mouths and invite. The Lord is preparing His children. Mackay, give that a try! Go and teach the recent converts or the less active members (do they have 555 there?) and commit them to share the gospel. Get references and then contact them in the moment. You will see miracles. If you don´t have investigators to teach, get into the houses and teach those who are lost or those who are new. 

Thank you everyone for your support. I just about fell out of my chair when GRANDMA said that I should extend! hahahaha. Unexpected. I am leaning towards it. It is not much time, and I do feel that it comes from the Lord. I am praying still and think I will make an official decision with General Conference. 

Sounds like you all had wonderful weeks. I am not at all "trunky", but it was a bit hard hearing all about Jenny´s bridal shower. I am so glad that it was so special and I am just so happy for Jenny and Scott. What an amazing couple. I can´t believe how close the big day is! 

Grandpa, I hope you get to feeling better soon. I was sorry to hear that you are back in the hospital. I am praying for you and know that I love you so very much. 

Sounds like trek preparations are going well. I loved the trek so much! It really taught me so much about the pioneers and about the gospel. 

How is everyone´s Book of Mormon reading going? I hope you are still reading daily. Remember the OLA.

I love  you all so much! I love this gospel. I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. I love being a missionary. I know that the Church is true. I know that we are lead by living prophets. I know that they will speak the words of God to us this weekend and that as we listen to them, we will be so very blessed. 

Thank you for your love and prayers,
Hermana Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment